Showing 208 results

Archival description
177 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
IE 2135 P51/3/2/1 · Item · c. 1832-1835 (date of copy)
Part of The Limerick Papers

Copy of a pre-nuptial settlement dated 8 February 1681 between Edmond Pery of the city of Limerick esquire of the 1st part; Robert Rice of the city of Limerick of the 2nd part; and Bartholomew Stackpoole of Stackpoole Court, county Clare esquire and Stephen Comyne of the city of Limerick, gentleman of the 3rd part involving the hamlets and lands of Rathany in county Limerick containing by estimation 430 acres; the several messuages, land tenements and hereditaments with their appurtenances in the North Liberties of the city of Limerick commonly called North Priores [Priors] Land containing by estimation 40 acres; the Abbey called St Francis Abbey in the South Liberties of the city of Limerick commonly called South Priores [Priors] Land containing by estimation 120 acres; and Saint Mary’s House situate on the east side of the parish of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the city of Limerick.

Pery family, Earls of Limerick
IE 2135 P51/3/2/2 · Item · c. 1832-1835
Part of The Limerick Papers

Copy of a lease dated 16 September 1771 between Edmond Sexton Pery of the city of Dublin of the 1st part; and Sir Henry Hartstonge of the city of Limerick of the 2nd part of the four lots of ground described in an annexed map forming part of South Priors Land in the liberties of the city of Limerick. Term: for three lives renewable forever. Conditions: yearly payment of one peppercorn if demanded.

Pery family, Earls of Limerick
IE 2135 P51/3/2/4 · Item · c. 1832-1835
Part of The Limerick Papers

Copy of a lease dated 22 February 1796 between Edmond [Henry] Viscount Pery of the 1st part; and Sir Henry Hartstronge of the city of Limerick Baronet of the 2nd part of the four lots of ground marked in the annexed map forming part of the South Priors Ground in the South Liberties of the city of Limerick together with the tithes thereof. Term: for three lives renewable forever. Conditions: yearly payment of one peppercorn if demanded.

Pery family, Earls of Limerick
IE 2135 P51/3/2/6 · Item · c. 1832-1835
Part of The Limerick Papers

Copy of a lease dated 26 January 1804 between Edmond [Henry] Viscount Pery of the 1st part; Anthony Lefroy of the city of Limerick of the 2nd part; and Thomas Lord Bishop of Limerick of the 3rd part of the plot of ground described in the annexed map containing 132 feet in length and 118 feet in breach being part of South Priors Land in the South Liberties of the city of Limerick whereon a chapel has lately been built in length seventy two feet and in breadth forty eight feet. Term: forever. Conditions: annual rent of five shillings sterling if demanded. The lease grants the Bishop permission to lease the said premises except for a pace of twenty feet immediately contiguous and adjoining the chapel which should be applied solely to the use and convenience of the chapel.

Pery family, Earls of Limerick
IE 2135 P51/3/2/8 · File · c. 1832-1835
Part of The Limerick Papers

Copies of a family settlement between Edmond Henry [1st] Earl of Limerick of the 1st part; Henry Hartstonge Perry [sic] Viscount Glentworth, eldest son and heir apparent of the Earl of Limerick and Annabella Percy [sic] Viscountess Glentworth of the 2nd part; John Wright of the city of Dublin gentleman of the 3rd part; James Peacock of the city of Dublin gentleman of the 3th part; Thomas Casey and Pryce Peacock of the city of Dublin esquires of the 5th part; and Thomas Philip Maunsell of the city of Limerick esquire and John Radcliffe of the city of Dublin esquire of the 6th part.

Pery family, Earls of Limerick
IE 2135 P51/3/2 · sub-series · 1832-1835
Part of The Limerick Papers

In 1769, Edmund Henry Pery decided to replace a chapel of ease on his estate close to Limerick with a new church in a better location. As the church was likely to cost a large sum of money, Pery induced his relatives to assist. Sir Henry Hartstonge agreed to pay for the new church on ground donated by Pery in exchange of £50 in cash, the materials of the old church, and the four lots of ground upon which it was built. In 1771, Pery granted Hartstonge a lease of the four lots of ground. Soon after, Sir Henry Hartstonge let the lots for building. In 1797, Pery granted and released to church wardens Anthony Lefroy and Alexander Torrens part of the land whereupon the new church had been built. The local clergyman attempted to let the lot for building but the church wardens objected as they had not been empowered to let the land for that purpose. In 1804, Pery demised the lease to the Bishop of Limerick along with the right to do with the plot of ground what he pleased except for a space of 20 feet immediately contiguous to the church which was to be applied solely to the use and convenience of the church. Later that year, the Bishop leased part of the ground to John Meade Thomas, who subsequently expended a large sum of money on building on this plot of ground. By now, the new church had become inconvenient for the parish and a decision was made to replace it. An agreement was entered into with the Provincial Bank of Ireland for the sale of the lot that remained in the Bishop’s possession. However, as a consequence of the lease made in 1804, the Bishop did not have the power to dispose of it and an Act of Parliament was passed to enable him to do so. The Act made no statement that the premises ever belonged to the Earl of Limerick but it did state that the lot was part of the estate of the Earl of Limerick who was a consenting party to the act and entitled to the rent of five shillings a year if demanded. In c. 1833 the Bishop of Limerick attempted to sell this plot of ground to the Provincial Bank of Ireland for the construction of a bank. A dispute arose as to the title of ownership and resulted in a court case, to which the papers in this sub-series relate.

Pery family, Earls of Limerick
Copy of a family settlement
IE 2135 P51/3/2/3 · Item · c. 1832-1835
Part of The Limerick Papers

Copy of a family settlement dated 9 November 1779 between Edmond Sexton Pery of the city of Dublin of the 1st part; the Reverend William Cecil Pery, Dean of Killaloe of the 2nd part; Edmond Henry Pery, only son of the said Dean of Killaloe of the 3rd part; Viscount Devesci and Sir Henry Hartstonge, Baronet of the 4th part; and John Dowdall Hammond of the 5th part.

Pery family, Earls of Limerick
IE 2135 P51/3/2/5 · Item · c. 1832-1835
Part of The Limerick Papers

Attested copy of a conveyance dated 26 August 1797 between Edmond [Henry] Viscount Pery of the 1st part; and Anthony Lefroy and Alexander Torrance church wardens of the Parish of Saint Michael’s in the Liberties of the City of Limerick of the 2nd part of the plot of ground, described in an attached map, containing 142 feet in length and 118 feet in breadth being part of South Priors lands in the South Liberties of the city of Limerick whereon a chapel has lately been built in length 72 feet and in breadth 48 feet. Term: forever. Conditions: the yearly rent of one peppercorn if demanded. No grave shall be made or erected or a person or persons buried in any part of the said premises at any time. A yearly rent of £300 sterling is payable in case any person shall be so buried.

Pery family, Earls of Limerick
IE 2135 P51/3/2/7 · Item · c. 1832-1835
Part of The Limerick Papers

Copy of a lease dated 26 December 1804 between Thomas Lord Bishop of Limerick of the 1st part; and John Meade Thomas of the city of Limerick, merchant of the 2nd part of a parcel of ground part of South Priors land in the South Liberties of the city of Limerick as described in an annexed map. Term: for three lives with a covenant for perpetual renewal. Condition: an annual rent of £34 together with a renewal fine of one peppercorn on the fall of each life.

Pery family, Earls of Limerick
IE 2135 P51/3/1/4 · File · 12 April 1810, 2 June 1828 and 16 July 1832
Part of The Limerick Papers

Renewal of a lease dated 12 April 1810 between Edmond Henry [1st] Earl of Limerick of the 1st part; and the Reverend Averell Hill, Archdeacon of Limerick of the 2nd part of the half lot of ground marked no. 3 in the plan of a new town laid down by David Dukart in 1765 and described in a map annexed to the original lease [now not present] dated 26 April 1791 being part of the Strand adjoining the River Shannon at South Priors Land in the Liberties of the city of Limerick containing in front towards the river 99 feet and in depth from a new intended street to low water mark which said premises are bounded by two streets intended to be left 60 feet wide each and by an intended quay and half lot of ground in Lancelot Hill’s possession. Term: three lives renewable forever. Conditions: yearly rent of £13.8.1½ sterling, together with one peppercorn as a fine for the renewal of each life, if demanded. Also a second renewal of the lease to Averill Hill dated 2 June 1828; and a third renewal to Walter Hussy Hill dated 16 July 1832.

Pery family, Earls of Limerick